Monday, March 22, 2010

Saving Money 101

Earle and I have prayerfully decided to put our house up for sale to see if anything happens. This leads me into two thoughts. My times has been stretched because of getting the house ready to be seen by strangers and this has also caused me to look for ways to save money for the down payment on the next house.

I also have to admit that looking for ways to save money is fun and I enjoy trying to save the most money each week.

If you have ever seen the target commercial below you will appreciate the following blog.


1. The New Salon
Now, this may look like a really bad idea to some of you, and it took lots of staring at the boxes in the store before I convinced myself I needed to try and highlight my own hair. I combed the aisle's of CVS for several minutes before I made my selection of the perfect shade of blonde.


I was very surprised to find that coloring one's own hair calls for more parts then my car's engine. I fanned my spread out and began the process by reading the directions.


I soon called for backup, beautician Earle to the rescue, to help with the back of the hair. I followed the direction for the first few steps then decided to add my own twist because it did not seem I was seeing any results.

After squirting every bit of solution into my hands I lathered up my entire head (I do not suggest that you do this). I wanted to make sure it "worked" (remember we are working on saving money here and I did not want to have to buy a second box) so I kept it on for more then the recommended time limit just to be sure.


I am happy to say that I did not come out with blue or orange hair. I am not sure that there was even a difference, but at least I can say I tried!


2. The New Weekend Getaway

A few weeks ago a great plan was hatched by my friend Casey, a wine tasting weekend in Helen, Georgia. This plan excited my very much and the weekend sounded like tons of fun. For a different number of reasons our weekend getaway was never had, but we did the next best thing- (and saved money) a wine tasting night.


Everyone gathered at the house and brought a bottle of wine they wanted to try along with an appetizer. I am really fond of food too.

It was not weekend getaway in Helen, but it was quite a night.
Our wine tasting table before everyone arrived.



Brooke brought two very yummy appetizers. She is very talented and has recently started blogging on her creations. Take some time to look at her recipes. She puts a healthier twist on some favorites. Brookes' Blog
Below we have Key Lime Coconut Cupcakes and freshly made bruschetta.
3. Grocery Shopping to a new level

When Earle and I first got married I tried to clip coupons, by tried I mean I did it one time.
Then.............
I discovered the best thing since sliced bread: Southern Savers blog. My sweet friend Jenny tracks the sales at grocery stores and organizes the coupons for you. If you really want to save money you really need to dig into this blog. It has saved me tons in just a few weeks. Here are a few of my shopping trips I am the most proud of.
CVS
6 pack of Bounty paper towels
2 Oral B toothbrushes
4 boxes of cereal
Total Before Coupons: $25.00
I payed: $4.25
Publix
1 Pack of Chicken Breasts
2 Bottles of Vitamin B
1 Yoplait Yogurt
1 tub of I can't Believe its not Butter
Total Before Coupons: $16.00
I payed: $3.52

More savings to come!
Have a great money saving week.

Free Signature Generator
Free Signature Generator

No comments:

Post a Comment